Thursday, May 26, 2005

At least it's almost Friday

Last night, after a mediocre dinner at DiMarco and later eschewing a trip to St. Marks to watch "How to Kick People" (taking a cab home from the Village costs in the area of forty dollars, and subways are out of the question at midnight on a Thursday. As if I'm not tired enough at work as it is) our boredom landed us at Strand Bookstore. Neither I nor The Wife had ever been, so we decided to check it out just to say that we had. We left with this McSweeney's publication after unsuccessfully searching for any Cory Doctorow novels. As if the barrage of gushing reviews weren't enough, Kevin's webpage reminds me that I have been meaning to pick Eggers' most recent collection every few days. So I caved and bought a hardcover. It pains me to pay twice as much for a hardcover book, but Egger's fantastic writing ability makes up for it. Honestly, I was expecting a little more humor, but I got instead a poetic prose that attempts (and often accomplishes) to convey the hum of human emotion through intensely omniscient story telling. Plot rarely plays a role in the stories; Eggers focuses instead on description and wordplay to lure the reader into the mind of the characters. One of the shortest stories in the book, "On Wanting to Have Three Walls Up Before She Gets Home" succeeds in charming the reader so well in fact that the last word of the story feels like a punch in the stomach (but not the good kind). In any case, it is worth the sixteen bucks.

If there is anything stupider than this, I've yet to see it. It's funny when they brag about being the cause of someone's noting: "The Internet has jumped the shark." Indeed, blogosphere.

Welcome to where I come from.

p.s. For all you computer/network dorks out there, I need a little advice regarding my wireless connection. I don't want to incriminate myself, but let's just say that I bought a USB wireless receiver and plugged it into the computer and I get the internet. The only problem is that we can't get GMail or Yahoo to work on a regular basis. I get 30k/s or so downloading files from most sites, but webmail times out. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home