Thursday, July 07, 2005

Fifty things you really don't care about

Work is sporadic -- yesterday I was working for eight hours straight on creating a new model and today I spent about fifteen minutes putting final touches on it and I haven't done anything since. Just to keep you in the circle, we filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Tuesday morning. I have no ties to the company, really, since I'm just consulting, so this will be a learning experience for me, and not scary at all. But it looks like my days will go at random from high workload days to days when the only thing keeping me sane is the thought of a cold beer at 5:30. Today was a head-banging day.

This is a list of fifty things that you really don't care about. It's about me, but that's pretty much why we start blogs anyway, right? Most of us, I imagine. I'll give a little more credit to guys like Instapundit (especially today, holy hell). But to keep the mood light and keep my mind occupied, I've created this wreck of a post. Enjoy!

1. I am really short. I mean, maybe I'm not really short. But you know. The fact that this is the first thing on the list might make you think that you could make some sort of psychoanalytical statement about me, but if you think so, you're probably just a cocky hippy.
2. Moving to a big city wasn't as life changing as I thought it would be.
3. One of my favorite songs is "She Is Beautiful" by Andrew W.K.
4. If pressed, I think that I would say that my favorite color is red.
5. I hate my cell phone.
6. I really miss my dog and I can't wait until I have a house with a yard again, so I can get a corgi.
6½. I never told Ryan that we had to give her away to a wonderful group of guys in Park Slope who love her very much because I felt terrible about it. Sorry, Ryan.
7. My favorite authors are Rushdie and Salinger, but I'm a sucker for the Beats. And Bukowski.
8. As long as work is keeping me busy, I am happy to be there.
9. I generally do not get along with white foods, including milk and ice cream, sour cream, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, mayonnaise etc.
10. I'm scared of flying (although the trip back from Raleigh a month or so ago was a little better).
11. I am very easily entertained.
12. Roosters, as both a symbolic icon and aesthetic object, are freaking awesome.
13. Even though I sort of hate those people who say that they "listen to everything," I can enjoy lo-fi, indie rock, punk rock, country and 70's rock ballads equally.
14. I do not eat sushi.
15. It actually took going to a restaurant that charged customers for forks for me to learn how to use chopsticks, and by the end of the meal my hands were so tired I ended up poking the chicken with the chopstick in order to eat it.
16. I played the cello for more years that I can count and I've never played Chopsticks. Maybe it's just a piano thing?
17. If someone made me go to a psychiatrist, I think that I would find out a lot more about myself than I really want to.
18. I also think that he or she would confirm my suspicion that I have a pretty serious case of the OCDs.
19. I am very susceptible to peer pressure.
20. There is something beautiful about a blank sheet of paper.
21. Once, I was "the other guy," and I still feel really bad about it sometimes.
22. I never really understood why Post-It notes were that great an invention.
23. I've never been to a rodeo, but I think it would be a lot of fun.
24. It makes me feel a little self-conscious that many of these are starting with "I."
25. A couple of weeks ago I had a White Russian because I really like The Big Lebowski, and now I can't get enough of them. But only after 11 p.m. or so. They seem more like a dessert drink.
26. I don't eat breakfast.
27. I usually don't eat much of a lunch, either.
28. I've always wanted a phone number that you can make a word out of, so I could tell people: "Yeah, man, just call me. It's 917-9-BADASS."
29. Mostly I drink lighter beers like IPAs, but one of my favorite things in the world is drinking Guinness in a hot tub.
30. I use hyperbole all the time.
31. I should have said Number 32, earlier, but I don't want people to think of me as "that couple" that nobody can stand going out with.
32. Number 31 should say that I am really happy living with The Wife.
33. I am a boy and I cook kind of well. I've had to learn recently because she makes me eat vegetables.
34. I don't like using black pens. I prefer blue or red. I think the red is just because of the accounting background.
35. I cross my 7s.
36. And my Zs.
37. Smells are probably the most important scent in a relationship. Once I convinced myself that the reason an ex drove me crazy was because of her perfume (although I disliked her perfume very much).
38. I apologize for things I shouldn't apologize for.
39. I've tried to quit smoking four or five times. I'm in the middle of one of those times right now, and I'm taking a break for a cigarette.
40. I am a firm believer that a man's choice of ties can provide a great deal of insight into his personality.
41. I'll talk about politics if pressed, but I rarely bring it up because my Libertarian views tend to piss a lot of people off.
42. I'd never tried Indian food until late last year, but now I love it.
43. One of my most ingrained values is creativity, but I find it harder and harder to express it as I age (which I tend to blame on increased responsibilities, but who knows).
44. My dress has changed considerably in the past year. I can only really blame The Wife for about 50% of the change. The rest I blame on work and "maturity."
45. When I drink I often do very stupid things. These things usually involve speaking.
46. I haven't had very many relationships, but I feel like I've learned the most from the worst ones.
47. My most embarrassing past time is perusing Craigslist Missed Connections.
48. Eloquent speakers impress me.
49. My dreams do not involve money, but they do involve security. So when I have to do things that I don't want to do because of money, I justify it by thinking of the benefit of increased security.
50. As cool as it sounds, I haven't quite decided that I would rather be rock and roll and die young as opposed to living quietly for 95 years. But I lean towards rock and roll.

1 Comments:

Blogger RiSE said...

Im glad you found her a good home and were able to take care of her for as long as you did.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home