Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Boobies, free concerts, and not so free concerts

Since the beginning of this year I've worked in a building in Midtown, one block west of Penn Station. I work on the 12th floor, which, while it sounds kind of cool, sucks because we only have two elevators servicing the top few floors of the building. If you go down for a cigarette it takes ten minutes to get down, five to smoke, and ten more to get back up. My cubicle, however, is positioned on the south side of the building looking over 32nd Street all the way to the Statue of Liberty. So the trade off is a great view of the harbor. Additionally, across the street on 32nd there is a building that is all open floors. Most of it appears to be photography studios. The penthouse is a big open room with glass windows all around. Occasionally they use the penthouse, and the roof of the penthouse, for photo shoots, which occupies my time well enough. Today, at approximately 2:30 in the afternoon, the thing that I have been waiting seven months for has finally happened: There's a naked chick on the roof.

Here is some music news:

Meatloaf is in NYC this weekend playing three dates at the Beacon. Unfortunately, tickets range between $100 and $350. That sucks.

I also missed Ted Leo playing a CBGB benefit show Monday night. He didn't go on until 12:15, though, and that's way past my bedtime. There are still a couple of more chances to catch him (like he ever stops touring, anyway). August 26th he'll be playing a free show at the South Street Seaport.

While we're milking the free shows, Clap Your Hands will also have a free show at the Seaport a week from today, August 10th.

More free shows! August 13th at a wearhouse in Dumbo, you can catch The Mobius Band's CD Release party with Charles Bissel of the Wrens and Elkland. Plus free Red Stripe and SoCo. RSVP for directions. Via Brooklyn Vegan.

The Hot Snakes is still sold out. If you know anybody with an extra ticket...

Last, but certainly not least, the new Nada Surf record The Weight is a Gift leaked. It is due out September 10th, on Barsuk. I had forgotten how great these guys were. Let Go was a phenomenal record, and I have to wonder what happened to make me forget it. After checking out the new album, I dug out Let Go and put that sucker on the iPod, too. If the only song you are familiar with is "Popular," do yourself a favor and listen to "Blizzard of '77." In fact, I'll help you out.

Blizzard of '77 from Let Go
Your Legs Grow from The Weight is a Gift
Imaginary Friends from The Weight is a Gift

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post... thanks.

Kim
my articles: financial articles

4:06 PM  
Blogger Lida said...

I command you to sell your kidney on ebay RIGHT NOW and go see Meatloaf.

Like a bat out of hell i'll be gone when the morning comes

COME ON. MEATLOAF.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Ben Shepard said...

a) Don't I need my kidney to drink?

b) I saw your comment and hoped you were commenting on "Your Legs Grow," because I thought you'd like it.

c) I can't tell if that first comment is spam or not.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Lida said...

I did like "Your Legs Grow" in fact it has been awhile since I have heard a new good song. But I thought Meatloaf was way more important to discuss.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home