Monday, January 09, 2006

I'll preface this post by saying that, for those of you who don't know me directly, I work for a hospital. I hate hospitals. I've been in an ER once or twice, max. My mom is a nurse, and I won't even go there. So the first day I was supposed to come in to work, I was extremely worried that the Treasury department would be somewhere in the guts of the hospital. I had these visions of having to walk through the ER every day to manage their investments. Thankfully, I work in a regular old office building on the west side, far from any ER.

Today it was our day to cover the secretary's lunch and breaks. I took her fifteen minute break at three. I had been at the desk ushering new hires and vendors to their appropriate locations when I get a phone call:

Her: "Hi, I'm having a baby."
Me: "You're what?"
Her: "I'm having a baby and I need a doctor."
Me: "..."
Her: "I live on 86th in Brooklyn, and I need a clinic."
Me: "Well, that is my neighborhood. The VA hospital is right there in Dyker. You should go there. Now."
Her: "No, I need a doctor."
Me: "I work in the corporate office. I have no idea how to go about getting you a doctor. Maybe you should call 911."
Her: "OK, yeah. I'll do that. Thanks."

This city is crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home