Friday, October 13, 2006

Well, I have a new local bar and a view of the Chrysler Building. The only bad part about moving is moving. My legs hurt for a week afterwards, but that was mainly because I was stupid enough to want to save an hour or two, so I dragged the majority of the boxes down to the curb before the movers got to the old apartment and I helped them drag everything upstairs at the new place. It took eight hours when all was said and done. We got yelled at by our downstairs neighbor for moving in at 11:00 pm, but I assured her that we were really nice people and that the movers were late and that it was out of our control. The next day she was nice to us.

ALSO. November is National Novel Writing Month. If you've never heard of it before, it's basically an online campaign to encourage regular folks to crap out a 50,000 word novel in one month. Many people have a list of things that they would like to do in their lives -- skydive, scuba dive, run with the bulls, research their genealogy, etc -- but, as it goes in life, every day getting-by takes precedent and these things fall to the bottom of the list and never get done. So, if writing a novel is on this list (or you just like writing), this is a month where you have online support and many other people helping you to commit to the goal and finish your novel. I am working on a plot (which you are allowed to do prior to Nov. 1, just no writing), but it's not going so hot. But the good thing is that you don't even need a plot for 50,000 words. You can just ramble. That's around 70 pages in Microsoft Word or 100 or so blog posts. Easy. Right? So I think I'm going to do a jumble of connected storylines but I can't decide whether to do it in parallel (a la Magnolia) or in series (think Gabriel Garcia Marquez). I think that unless you can do a big, complicated, cerebral novel novel, the series thing would not work. Plus, who can pull off One Hundred Years of Solitude except for Marquez. Nobody, that's who. Certainly not me. If you are interested, you can sign up on the NaNoWriMo webpage and get access to general and local forums, where every city plans meetups and parties. Participation will also give you an excuse to go meet new people in the neighborhood that you may have a little in common with. If anyone is planning on trying, you should let me know and we'll exchange chapters - as long as I think mine are good enough for other people to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home