Thursday, January 24, 2008

Somebody please help me out with "No Country for Old Men." It was a damn good movie, possibly better than Fargo, but I took little away from it the first viewing.

What I can get out of it so far is maybe that your decisions, especially the ones you know might haunt you ("What are you going to do?" "Something dumber than hell, but I'm going anyway."), will continue to follow you. I also think there's a really humbling message about the inevitability of following our fathers to the grave. You might not think that that necessarily needed to be said but I, at least, tend to forget it, and it was one of the most emotional parts of the movie for me.

Anyway, it was very good, and surprisingly Coen-y even though they lifted most of the dialouge from Cormac McCarthy's novel (supposedly). I will also need to check out Cormac McCarthy, who I've to this point avoided because I always thought that he wrote the Wally Lamb book "I Know This Much is True" and I refuse to read that shit because this hippy I dated in high school used to rave about it. I know that doesn't make sense. Wally Lamb wrote a book, hippy girl loved it, dust jacket looked the same as "The Road," and they were both Oprah picks, hence I hated Cormac McCarthy. Get it? Ya.

So, it's cold here still and my classes are mind-numbingly boring. But on the plus side there is hot apple cider around the corner at Pete's and I've been mostly staying out of trouble and I'm getting a raise at work. Oh and also I just finished The Twenty-Seventh City by Jonathan Franzen and it was incredible, and I am reading some more Murakami (Kafka on the Shore) and even though the translation isn't that great the story is pretty intense. Also look what I found:



PEACE OUT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home