Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I finally found a used paperback copy of Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections on Sunday afternoon and I cannot put it down. It is uproarious. The reviews on Amazon are surprisingly negative (3 of 5 stars overall) considering what seems (to me) to skew towards an erudite reviewer base. It apparently got a shoutout from Oprah at some point, which may give an otherwise niche book some audience that might not be prepared for 600+ pages of serious (and seriously drawn out) prose, but that's no excuse for panning it if you ask me. So far (1/3 through) The Corrections is reminding me a lot of Wonder Boys (except darker, maybe a little less laugh out loud funny) and I just freaking love it. I've almost missed subway stops because the knots in my stomach refuse to go away if I can't find a place to pause. It's like eating a mozzarella stick that burns your mouth but it's so delicious.

Other news includes but is not limited to: The Bronx playing the shit out of Fontana's tonight, there are Red Pandas at the Central Park Zoo and I want to take one home with me, I need a new job and a new apartment, Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale FTW, I am going upstate next weekend to see the leaves change (tourist), and what should I be for Halloween? Elaboration will probably not be forthcoming because I am lazy.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home